- 3lbs of potatoes, scrubbed and pierced in several places
- 1tbsp. of butter
- 1 1/2 cups of finely chopped onions
- 2 tbsp. of minced garlic
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) of garlic broth
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- crumbled bacon
- chopped scallions
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Bake the potatoes 1 hour or until tender when pierced. Peel when their cool enough to handle.
- Melt the butter in a 4 - 6 qt pot over medium low heat. Stir in onions and garlic, cover and cook 10 minutes until soft, but not brown.
- Add 2/3 of the potatoes and mash. Add broth, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring occassionally.
- Cut remaining potatoes into small cubes, add to soup, and stir gently to reheat.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and chopped scallions.