The purpose of the cream cheese, and I also use sour cream, is to aid with binding and creaming-sort of what cream cheese does for cheese cake and it also happens to be a cheese so thats a plus. I dont really "measure" so eyeball for the consistency you want before layering.
Makes a large aluminum pan or deep 9 x 12.
- Box of elbow Or ready cut noodles
- Philly cream cheese
- 3 tbs sour cream
- 2-3 blocks of cracker barrel cheese-your choice (shred them)
- 1-2 cups Parmesan (grated)
- One egg ( pour to cover layers)
- Salt and pepper
- Topping like crumbled bacon if you'd like.
- Mix 1 egg with about 3 cups of milk (may have you add more if it doesn't cover the last layer of cheese)
- Boil noodles, drain, add butter, sour cream, and cream cheese to hot noodles and mix til melted
- Start layering: Buttered cream cheese noodles, Shredded cheese, Pat of butter in corners if a large deep 9x12
- Sprinkle salt and pepper continue layers til cheese layer and leave 2" at top pour milk over layers,
- Cover with foil, bake on 350 for 40 mins
- Remove foil to brown the top then add crumbled bacon