- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup fine-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 to 2 containers (6 ounces each) fresh blackberries (frozen worked fine too)
DIRECTIONS1. Preheat oven to 375°... make sure the temp is correct of the berries will sink to the bottom of the cake. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs and melted butter; pour over flour mixture, whisking to combine.
2. Fill each lined cup with a scant ¼ cup batter. Top batter with blackberries (3 to 4 berries per cup), then sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
3. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until evenly browned on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes are best eaten the day they are baked, but will keep up to 2 days at room temperature in airtight containers.